Thomas , David, & Melanie were raving about the movie Where the Wild Things Are . So last night I went to the movies all by myself, for the first time ever, I think. For those of you that are not familiar, Where the Wild Things Are is a well loved children's picture book by Maurice Sendak. The book is certainly less than 100 words long, and so Max and The Wild Things are not given their full personalities by literature alone. The pictures, and what your imagination does with them, fill in the gaps and reach places that words cannot. I was really curious as to how writers Spike Jonze and David Eggers were going to go about stretching this short book into a movie. Especially a book that wasn't theirs. Not one of The Wild Things in the book says anything that isn't in unison with the other Wild Things. I would be terrified to expand on a character that was another writer's vision with only illustrations to go by. And they had to create several in addition to fleshing...
On January 2nd 2008 I bought a Betta fish named and named him Adriel. I bought a fish because my youngest child had gone off to school and I needed something to take care of. I named him Adriel because that was the name I wanted to name my oldest child , but my husband said "No." That is what he says to mostly everything I ask him. Except he didn't say it that nicely that time. Adriel is a boys' name, by the by, albeit a kinda girly boys name, and here is my proof. But he was a very beautiful fishy, so it seemed right that he should have a fancy name. As I have mentioned previously , I am frightened of animals. This was the beginning of my exposure therapy. I bought myself a pet that I didn't have to pet! Adriel was the most friendly little fish I've ever met. Miles even taught him how to jump. I was very sad when he died last November. I buried him near my morning glories that are the same shade of blue as he. I started writing a little memorial blog for...
The last 24 hours went a little something like this: I had The Fear. I bought a carton of milk, 2 boxes of chocolates, 3 Barbie dolls and 1 book of logic puzzles in hopes of quelling It. Then off to another family's house, where, against my instincts, I let my three children cavort off with their children unsupervised. Dexy (my 6 year old) came back with the biggest bump on his head I've ever seen as the result of "a fighting game". On the way home it was nearly impossible to keep him awake. ER, concussion, vomit, cat scan, IV, draw blood, anti-emetic, hydration. The Worst Night. Kill me. I got him home and to bed and cried for a good hour or so. I kept him home from school today and we had The Best Day. Pancake House, Clay Cafe Studios, Panera, Hollywood Video, Penelope . He's all better. I'm getting there. The moral: I need to trust my instincts. And if you try to talk me out of them I'll f-ing slam you.
Comments