Starring

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Poll Results: All Nighter?


In high school no one needed sleep. I could go knock on a friend's window any time of the night and they would get up and party with me. Then everyone gets old and responsible and they're all "I need my eight hours." Except I still frequently stay up all night. Last night I was up until 4 am. I'm not saying that my thirty year old body doesn't hate me for it the next day. Also, I'm not able to rally like I used to. I had Cole when I was 18 and all the older biddies said "Now sleep when the baby sleeps, honey." But I was young and pretty used to four hours of sleep. I couldn't understand the fatigue that all the other new mom's were complaining about. By the time Miles and especially Dexter came along, I understood.


But when I do stay up all night, I find myself alone in my endeavor. Jamie occasionally will be irresponsible, but he is infrequently up past midnight. A quick walk around my neighborhood at 9 pm shows the depressing sight of pitch black houses. Do these people all go to bed at the same time as their kids?


Then my little brothers got older and were at the stage where they'd stay up all night with me. There were nights of drive thru, obscure music, Balderdash, and playing Guitar Hero until contacts were dry, fingers didn't work, and people started talking weird, and then around 6 am we'd pretend to watch a movie and pass out. Sometimes if Thomas couldn't come out, we'd get online and cheat at Yahoo card games. But then they went to college.


Also, I gotta shout out to my peeps Jennifer, Robin, Erika, Liz, Gena, Dave, Tal, John and my mother-in-law who have all stayed up past two with me fairly recently. I love you for this.


So I decided to take a survey to see if there were any other night people. And apparently there are. Where are you?


1 comment:

redsneakz said...

When we used to stay up late doing problem sets, we had one guy who had the amusing habit of wrapping a towel around his head and going to sleep on a couch in commons for about an hour. We surmised that time stood still for him while he had the towel around his head.