Starring

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Unhappy Ending

Once upon a time it started
Girl was sad and broken-hearted
If she jumped, would this boy be there?
With her he would go anywhere

Eyes so blue, hair like a raven
For awhile you were my haven
With your hand cradling my head
Your stories soothe my heart to bed

Then I see some trouble deeper
Breathing life into the sleeper
You've sold me on the art you paint
I kill myself to be your saint

I'm showing you were we would go
A place better than we could know
Just shine! You'll be much more than good
Just be the man you know you could

You don't want to be saved, do you?
I try so hard to rescue you
And how do you show you love me
A boulder placed on top of me

As my heart slows down it's beating
You ask me if I'm still breathing
I answer yes, you look away
"Then we have time," is all you say

You disregard my every tear
You mock my pain, you fuel my fear
All your promises recanted
How am I not disenchanted?

When your final blow was dealt me,
You can't see why it's not healthy
To you the rules never apply
No choice left but to say goodbye

You let me go for nothing real
And words can't say how bad it feels
To know you're doing what you do:
Erasing all the love we knew

Not me, I live to hold the truth
Like photos from the kissing booth
I'll file your memory away
I'll face the music every day

How I miss your hands and body
Pointy smile after we're naughty
Armadillo, Marco, Polo
I can't stand this sleeping solo

Today I listened to your song
I cried for you and what went wrong
I wish that I could make you see
I wish you'd cared enough for me

Once upon a time it started
Girl was sad and broken-hearted...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this so much that I read it out loud. I am sorry you experienced such sorrow but am grateful you shared this bit of poetry goodness.

Best,
Eliza (We went to high school together back in the dark ages) ;)

Heidi said...

Eliza,
Thank you. I love it too!
It's my favorite thing I've written in awhile.
Heidi