Starring

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

0% Exotic

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
 

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Boston
 
The West
 
North Central
 
The Northeast
 
The Inland North
 
Philadelphia
 
The South
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Which American accent do you have?

Western

Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it's still possible to tell where you`re from. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

Personality Test Results

Click Here to Take This Quiz
Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.

The Yankee Test Says: "46% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom"

I have no accent. None whatsoever. I have taken many scientifical internet tests and I have a total non-regional accent. And for this I am sad because I love almost all accents. I wish I had an exotic accent. Actually almost any accent would do. I mean, except some sort of New York/New Jersey/New England and I don't want a backwoods twangy one (which is totally different than the very cute deep south drawl). Sometimes I try one on for fun when no one I know is looking. After having watched Flight of the Conchords for two or three days straight, I spoke in a New Zealand accent for an entire shopping trip once. My kids didn't call me out on it or even ask the whole time. They are too used to my weirdness.

My question is, does a non-regional American accent sound cute to anyone? Probably not here in the US, but maybe in other countries? Is there anyone anywhere that hears it and says "I love your accent!" I get the feeling that all American accents sound like a slack-jawed-yokel to the rest of the English speaking world. I think it's so prevalent in the movies and on TV that it just sounds like how water tastes.

And for fun, here is a World Guess My Accent quiz. And here is an American Guess My Accent quiz.

2 comments:

redsneakz said...

I really like authentic deep-southwest accents, especially the accents that First Nations folk have.

What's wrong with New York accents, anyway?

Oh, I've decided to tag you, so here's the link:
C'mon get happy

Heidi said...

Nothing is wrong with NY accents at all! I think they're just too close to home, so they don't sound exotic or sexy to me.