Starring

Friday, March 10, 2006

I Am the Geeky One. Everybody Knows That.

I've finally decided on a name for my Apple iBook. Peaches. Peaches is white, shiny, quiet, and 12" (just how I like my men).



The iBook love started about a year ago. I had a broken leg and couldn't get to our computer upstairs. Jamie was using our laptop to work from, and so my brother Jonathan lent me his iBook. I loved it so that I tried to buy it from him, but it turned out that he also loved it. Psst...by the way, have you ever noticed that no one ever loves their PC?



Anyway, Jamie and I were sitting in the living room about five months ago and we had a conversation that went like this.


"I would love to have an iBook."


"Geez Heidi, those are really expensive."


"I know. I'm just saying that I would love to have one."


"You are such a gadget girl." He is referring to the tremendous cravings I have for various gadgets and my intense love for my pink Kitchenaid mixer, pink flip phone, pink glittery electric guitar, pink iPod, and my cobalt blue PDA, ooh and my camera too.


"Well, some girls like jewelry and I like gadgets. I mean, you married the right girl. You would vomit if I asked for a cheesy diamond or some crap."


"I know. I can get into the stuff you want. A diamond is pretty useless--unless you're going to cut stuff with it...and they never do. But you are such a geek."


"What?"


"You're such a geek with all your gadgets."


"I am not a geek. You are the geek and I am the cool one. Everybody knows that."


"Whatever Heidi. You are a total geek and so am I."


"No way! You are the geek. I am the cool one. Everybody knows that."


"Who is everybody? You are a geek and all of our friends are geeks."


"I am NOT a geek. I AM THE COOL ONE! EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!"


This went on for sometime. As I became more and more upset, Jamie seemed more and more satisfied.



A couple of days later I was talking to Dave, a friend of ours. "Jamie said I was a geek the other day."


"I think we're all geeks." he replied.


"We're geeks?" I asked incredulously.


"Well, compared to 'Revenge of the Nerds' we're cool, but compared to Johnny Depp, we're geeks."


I gasped, "Not true! Johnny Depp thinks we're cool, and he SO wants to be friends with us!"


Dave just laughed at me.



In shock that I might actually be a geek, I started retelling this story to anyone who would listen. I was trying to gauge their reaction to see if I really was a geek.


As I told it to my Dad, he just laughed. "Oh Heidi, you're not a geek. You and I are the cool ones." Gulp. This is when I started to come to terms with the fact that I really was a geek.



On Christmas day I opened a box from my Jamie sugar daddy (who, incidentally, bought me all of my gadgets) containing this beautiful white shiny iBook. I couldn't believe it! I was so overcome that I burst into tears. It was just like those diamond commercials...except with a laptop.



Who cries over a laptop? Geeks like me. Yup, that pretty much sealed the deal.


Hi, my name is Heidi, and I am a geek.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.